The major hub of the rich Ovens Valley agricultural region, this lovely town with its welcoming avenues of mature poplars and Pin oaks is set against a beautiful mountain backdrop and surrounded by green, fertile farmland.
Originally known as Myrtle Creek, the town was shaped by pioneer graziers, gold seekers and timber getters.
The arrival of large numbers of Italian migrants in the 1920s and the immediate aftermath of the Second World War saw Myrtleford established as a major tobacco growing centre. Until the closure of the industry in 2006, tobacco was the major crop grown here and today, many of the distinctive corrugated iron tobacco drying kilns can still be seen around the town. These days the tobacco farms have been replaced by wine grapes, hops, walnuts and chestnuts, blueberries and raspberries, cherries, apples, kiwifruit, olives, vegetables, beef and dairy cattle.
Locally grown fresh produce is readily available around Myrtleford at farm gates and at the monthly Farmers Market in the grounds of St Pauls Church from the first Saturday in December to the last Saturday in May.
Myrtleford offers a choice of places to stay from caravan and camping to motel, hotel, B&B and self-contained accommodation. There are some excellent places to eat including The Old Factory, Bastoni Pizzeria, Alpine Gate Café and fabulous Middle Eastern cuisine at Café Fez.
- Fill a basket with fresh local fare at the monthly Farmers Market on the fourth Saturday of the month.
- Celebrate Myrtleford’s Italian heritage at the fabulous La Fiera Festival.
- Explore Myrtleford’s rich history at the Old School Museum.
- Taste locally grown, handmade wines at family-owned Michelini Wines.
- Hug the Big Tree, a huge centuries-old River Red Gum near the centre of town.
- Hike from the bottom or drive to the top of Reform Hill and enjoy the panoramic views from the lookout.
- Enjoy an authentic wood-fired pizza at Bastoni Pizzeria.
- Join the passionate locals and cheer on the boys at a soccer or footy match.
- Discover an amazing Middle Eastern bazaar right in the heart of town at Red Ramia.